Lost in Translation

Renner-Fahey, Ona Ona.Renner at MSO.UMT.EDU
Mon Oct 9 15:29:54 UTC 2006

Elena,

We just discussed this book recently for a Jewish reading group. One of
my colleagues, in response to your query, responded: "I never really got
the impression that [Hoffman] was able to reconcile her
experiences/identities." And it seems to me that Hoffman does a lot of
criticizing of American culture, so it might not actually be the best
reading for a teenager who might need encouragement. Of course, it
entirely depends on the teen's maturity and emotional stability, etc.

Ona Renner-Fahey

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Elena Gapova
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 9:58 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Lost in Translation

Dear all,

mine is a "childrearing question". Do you think that Eva Hoffman's "Lost
in
Translation" is a good reading advice for a girl turning 15 and
struggling
over the issues of her East European identity vs. her American
experience?
Can "an average teenager" grasp the complexity of what Hoffman writes
about,
or will most of it be lost (though not in translation), at this early
age?

e.g.