how would you say...

Devin Browne dpbrowne at MAC.COM
Fri Oct 13 01:13:36 UTC 2006

OK, as a teacher in a school greatly affected by NCLB, a variety of new
tasks are put upon us.  One of them is to instill a better sense of
understanding of "12 Powerful Words" that are used frequently on
standardized tests, words that we assume kids know but, in reality, they
don't always.  So all teachers at my HS are doing a "word of the week" kind
of thing.  Next week's word is "trace," as in to list in steps or to
outline.  I'm looking for a good equivalent that my Russian 1 students might
actually be able to relate to something -- maybe a good cognate out there?

Here are upcoming words, some of which will work with cognates, some of
which will not.

Trace (list in steps, outline)
Analyze (break apart)
Infer (read between the lines)
Evaluate (judge)
Formulate (create)
Describe (tell all about)
Support (back up with details)
Explain (tell how)
Summarize (give the short version)
Compare (all the ways they are alike)
Contrast (all the ways they are different)
Predict (what will happen next)

There they are, the 12 Powerful Words.  It sounds like they should be part
of an incantation from a Russian folk tale.  Close-sounding words would be
most helpful.  OK, now to check with my native French-speakers for my French
classes.

Devin
(aka Divan)