Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment (Film in English)

tim dukes redtaperecorder at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 19 16:47:00 UTC 2006

So strange that this thread should come up today since I just rented 'Crime
and Punishment' last night!

I have the newly restored 1969 Russian versian directed by Lev Kulidzhanov.
Even though I'm watching it in the Russian language w/ English subtitles,
the newest DVD version does provide you w/ the option of viewing an
English dubbed version.  It seems like a good translation:  I watched it for
about 5 minutes before deciding to watch it w/ subtitles instead...

The casting for the film is excellent -- the film portrays the characters in
a way that I envisioned them when I first read the book.  I also think it
helps that the actors are relatively unknown to me -- it allowed me to
immerse myself more into the plot and characters, to actually see them as
the people they were meant to play.  I find that sometimes star power can
outshine the story...

Anyway, here's the link in case you're interested...

http://www.amazon.com/Crime-Punishment/dp/B0009S2KFG/sr=8-9/qid=1161275594/ref=pd_bbs_9/002-5422862-1175236?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

By the way, what prompted me to seek out this film in the first place was
the fact that I'd just recently seen a film by Robert Bresson called
'Pickpocket' which is based loosely on 'Crime & Punishment', except the
protagonist is a pickpocket instead of an axe murderer.  That one is also
highly recommended...

Regards,

Tim