Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment (Film in English)

Rachel S. Platonov rachel.platonov at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Fri Oct 20 08:30:49 UTC 2006

Dear Sohail,

There's also a recent (2002?) adaptation of Crime and Punishment,
directed by Menahem Golan (perhaps better known as the producer of
films like 'Night of the Living Dead' and 'American Cyborg'...) and
starring Crispin Glover as Raskolnikov, John Hurt and Vanessa
Redgrave. It's a strange one--it's set in post-Soviet Moscow, if I
remember correctly, and I'd be hard-pressed to praise the acting at
all--but it has some interesting moments. Comparing it with some of
the other English-language adaptations could be quite interesting.

Best wishes,
- Rachel Platonov