Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment (Film in English)

Sohail Abdullah sohail.abdullah at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 20 04:19:12 UTC 2006

Thank you for the feedback.

I became interested in the film after reading the novel, which i did a
few years back. I am from Pakistan and here we do not have much of
this kind of work in film. In the cold era of marshal laws most of the
times, russian literature was banned and last year with a friend of
mine when we arranged the celebrations of Dostoevsky's birth
anniversary, even the Russian Ambassador was very much pleased to know
that, as it was the first time someone was going to celebrate
Dostoevsky here in Pakistan. Back in 80's ''The Ediot'' and ''Crime
and Punishment'' were banned by the government due to some of the
politically created reasons using the religion as a shield. We even
staged a few of the dialogue sessions from Crime and Punishment and
Brothers Karamazov in that evening that we celebrated. Situation has
gone very good now and while I was looking for material on the web for
that particular event i became aware of that list through some
googling as I do not know any russian language and it was a bit hard
for me to get to the best of the comments on russsian that is not in
russian in those times. Even the famous Pushkin speach was hard to
find for me as we here were very much curious about that. Then someone
helped me here with scanned version of the speech.

I really appreciate the response here. The DVD is quite expensive as
compared to the pirated market that is currently so much active here
in this region but i will definitely get one through the net or some
other sources.

Once again, thank you for all the response in this regard. I am all
excited to find some visual version of this particular piece of
writing as i find it very much challenging for any director to portray
the Raskonlinkov and the happenings.

In  Einstein's words "Dostoevsky is the only scientist, I have any
thing to learn from.''

Regards and bless you all
Sohail