No subject

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Mon Oct 23 03:07:06 UTC 2006

OK, all kidding aside. Certainly mutual respect, even sympathy, is called
for. In the same way we respect the other person's religion without
necessarily embracing it ourselves.

Couple of questions and comments:

1. How shall we pronounce Kyiv? English speakers - and probably most other
Europeans - can't comfortably mouth the Ukrainian sound here represented by
"y" - somewhat akin, I believe, to the sound of Russian yery. Not to mention
the fact that - if the information I have is correct - word-final "v" in
Ukrainian sounds like our "w." Surely it should not be mandatory to master
Ukrainian in order to call the capital city of Ukraine by its right name. I
predict that most people will get used to the new official spelling and
still pronounce it (pardon the crude notation) KEE-yev. or kee-YEV.

2. What is the Ukrainian counterpart of the capital of Italy? And the little
country on the Black Sea whose capital city is Tbilisi? Answers: Rym and
Hruziya (Gruziya), respectively. "Gruziya," by the way, was also imposed by
Nash Starshiy Brat, if you want another example of nasty colonialism. The
real name of Georgia is Sakartvelo (the whole story is complicated , but let
it go).

3. If "Kiev/KEE-yev" is odious, why isn't "Ukraine" [pron. yoo-KRANE]? I
happen to love the native name of the country, which has a very pretty and
melodious sound - oo-kra-YEE-na. As a matter of curiosity, which nation or
ethnos, dominant or subjugated, decided in centuries past to give it a name
which - again if my information is correct - means something like "on the
outskirts" (or "borderlands"). From whose perspective? Reminds me that while
the Russian term for Transcaucasia means "that side of the Caucasus," the
ethnoses to the south of the mountains call it "this side of the Caucasus."
It's a matter of perspective, you see. And speaking of perspective, I think
we could all use a little more of it.

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator

    "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al Capp)