Is "Kyiv" historically accurate?

Peter Scotto pscotto at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Mon Oct 23 19:07:52 UTC 2006

I don't know...

Here's my practice:

When I'm speaking Russian, I say "Kiev" just as I would say "Moscow,"
"Germany," "Spain," or "Finland"  when I'm speaking English.

I say "v Ukraine" when I'm speaking in Russian of current-day Ukraine,
because it appropriately reflects its change in historical status from
"region" to "independent state".

--> V Ukraine zhivut ukraintsy.

Anything else would seem churlish and discourteous to me.

However, when I am speaking (in Russian) of a time before current-day
Ukraine achieved independence, I still say, "na Ukraine"

As in: -->"Gogol' rodilsia na Ukraine"

Same applies for English:

        -->"Gogol' was born in the Ukraine.

I tell my students that, prior to independence, "na Ukraine" was
standard; and that they may still hear "na" --- and I tell them why.

Peter Scotto
Mount Holyoke College