Catherine the Great and Important Quote

Joshua Adetunji jta3 at UALBERTA.CA
Sun Oct 29 17:01:22 UTC 2006

Hello Seelangers,

I remember some years ago during my romance with the history of
Tsarist Russia, i ran into something about Emperess Catherine the
Great and Voltaire, the French philosophe.Unfortunately i have been
looking for the source and the exact quote, but to no avail.Here is
how it looks like :Catherine the Great, in a correspondence, said to
the French philosophe :

    " I am a philosopher.You are a philosopher.
      I write on skin.You write on paper"

Please, does anyone know a bibliographic source for this ?

Thank you

Joshua Adetunji
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
University of Alberta