Samovar: where to buy?

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 1 18:25:16 UTC 2006

Just a note:  I possess a working electric samovar, purchased in
Russia, and have discovered the following point.  Because of the
110/220 difference and because the samovar is a heating unit, you won't
actually be able to heat water to boiling in a Russian (or even
European) made samovar if you plug it in in the US or Canada.  You can
vaguely keep previously heated water warm in it, but... it'll
ultimately serve a more decorative than functional purpose.  There is
just no adaptor that'll make a 110 electrical source provide enough
juice to get a 220 heating coil up to temp.  I suppose that an
electrically minded person might be able to change out the heating
coil, though.

;-)

Emily Saunders