Cherry Orchard Music

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Sat Sep 9 02:39:10 UTC 2006

Denis Crnkovic wrote:

>Thanks to all who responded to my queries about the music in Chekhov's "Cherry Orchard"  both on and off line. The comments, suggestions and detailed notes on the songs and music were most helpful. The play doesn't go on until February, but it is nice to have some of the dramaturgy completed before the academic year is running at full steam. We are looking forward to an eclectic, tragi-comic mix of klezmermusik, cruel romances and oldie dance tunes from the 70s (i.e. 1870s)!

       Although Chekhov did specify "evreiskii orkestr," it's highly
unlikely that they played Jewish music for a Russian ball. Chekhov was
not describing a Jewish wedding, so what we nowadays call klezmer music
would not be appropriate. And on the other hand the standard Kammen
music folios that were used by Jewish musicians in the United States
included numerous Russian and Ukrainian melodies (including
"Korobushka,", ""Svetit mesiats," "Chubchik," "Na sopkakh Mandzhurii,"
"Toska po rodine," 'I shumyt', i hude," "Stoit' hora vysokaia" etc.).

Bob Rothstein