Cherry Orchard music

Denis Crnkovic cronk at GAC.EDU
Sat Sep 9 17:24:43 UTC 2006

Bob (and co.) , many thanks for the comments. Obviously, Chekhov was not suggesting that the "famous Jewish orchestra" would play "klezmer music" at the estate ball. The stage directions for Act III clearly indicate that the music is that of the dances popular in the 1870s and 1880s. Our bigger challenge is deciding what type of music the company hear from offstage in Act II. I think it  possible that this is either "Jewish" music or "Russian" music, although I agree that if it is the Jewish music of the "klezmorim" it wouldn't be exactly what we currently think of as klezmer music. If I understand correctly from some of my resources, the Jewish instrumental groups in Russia played a wide repertoire of music for sundry occasions and often hired themselves out to "Russian" functions, sometimes with mixed success. I imagine that any tension between players and audience would have come from differing interpretations, especially of the ornamentation. In any case, Chekhov's ultimate point is that the Ranevsky estate has been "reduced" to hiring outside musicians. If we are to believe the old servant Firs, the balls were once as elegant as the produce from the orchard and - probably - the music was played by the estate's own (serf) orchestra.

DC