query re Yevtushenko and Barlas

Zielinski zielinski at GMX.CH
Wed Sep 6 13:11:25 UTC 2006

Joyce Oshrin:

> Can anyone give me any information about Volodya Barlas? His birthplace,
> where he died? Anything? All the Barlas families are related to me,
> originating in Brest Litovsk..

Vladimir Ja. Barlas (1920-82). Interestingchap. A geophisician, who became
litearary critic.

Here about his family background and youth:

http://2004.novayagazeta.ru/nomer/2004/91n/n91n-s33.shtml

Here you have his photo (playing draughts) and his reminiscences about
Pasternak and his funeral, written in 1978.

http://www.vestnik.com/issues/2002/1113/win/barlas2.htm

He was also making bus excurcions, looking for the traces of Pasternak:

http://www.berkovich-zametki.com/Nomer24/Barlas1.htm

He was also writing prose poems:

http://www.vestnik.com/issues/2002/1113/win/barlas1.htm

Here are some of his letters to the family:

http://www.berkovich-zametki.com/Nomer20/Barlas1.htm

and fragments of his book on poetry:

http://www.berkovich-zametki.com/Nomer22/Barlas1.htm

Hope that helps,