index of Russian towns

Tue Sep 19 21:16:30 UTC 2006

Sarah Hurst wrote:

> Is there anywhere online where I can find a complete index of Russian towns
> and villages? I have a couple of names of old Chukchi villages that I would
> like to look up, and they're not included on the usual website where I check
> the names of villages in Chukotka.
>
> Thank you for any help the list members can provide,

If you want current information, the Russian postal service offers a
list of codes, organized hierarchically by region, district, etc. Units
too small to have separate postal codes are not listed.
<http://indexes.boom.ru/>

For maximum detail, including alternate spellings and precise geographic
coordinates, try the NIMA website (with pushed fonts; requires cookies):
<http://earth-info.nima.mil/gns/html/index.html>

Sorry, can't help with historical data. Perhaps EastView can...
<http://www.eastview.com>

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com