Katiusha question

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Sep 28 13:47:58 UTC 2006

This actually brings up another interesting point, as the "who is a Jew" question has been debated within the Jewish community for some time, with some groups only acceptin maternal descent, and some accepting paternal descent as long as the individual was raised as a Jew.  In other words, someone with a seemingly Jewish last name or a Jewish identity listed on an internal passport would not necessarily be accepted as Jewish by other Jews, while non-Jews will tend to automatically categorize someone based on name or appearance alone.  (Monica Lewinsky and some of the oligarchs come to mind as those some portions of the community would really like to disclaim.  Unfortunately, everyone is probably stuck with Jack Abramoff).

  The Forverts, being a secular paper, probably has no position on the "Who is a Jew" issue (neither am I proclaiming one here!), but in my personal opinion, would be less likely to go by name alone than some other sources.  However, they could still be misinformed.  I'm not sure how this question could be answered, actually, without examining Isakovsky's parents' marriage documents and also taking a position on whether Jewish means both maternal and paternal identity, or one or the other.

  Pardon if this is entirely too much information or veering off-topic.

SEELANGS automatic digest system <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> wrote:
  Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:14:19 -0400
From: Edward M Dumanis
Subject: Re: Katiusha question

While there were many Jewish shtetls in Smolensk Province, the village of
Glotovka was hardly one of them. I think that the Jewish Daily Foreward
is confused by the fact that the poet's name sounds like Jewish. However,
it might be (and probably so) of some Polish origin (Isakowski). I am not
able to comment on the origin of this name in Polish.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis