Immigrants and Russian culture

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at YANDEX.RU
Thu Sep 28 18:15:33 UTC 2006

Well, I was told a scary story, actually, when this wonderful phrase was quoted, quite innocently, in an official environment, and nearly taken for a demand for a bribe. Fortunately, the phrase was quoted in its entirety, and since the discussion had nothing to do with chairs the quotation only provoked a mild surprise. Humor is very perilous in a a company you don't know well :).
In my experience, "12 stuliev," "Garazh," "Beloe solntse pustyni," "17 mgnovenii vesny," "Ivan Vasilievich..." etc. are still popular, they are still shown often, and are still quoted. At least, when I say to my students, "A vas, Dasha, ia poproshu ostat'sia" they do laugh.
Tatyana

>Well, these bits and pieces were a part of our common "cultural capital..."
>
>And now I cannot even explain to my daughter why, when she asks for smth, I
>say (meaning "only after you clean your room"): "Utrom den'gi, vecherom
>stul'ya". She doesn't see this as funny...
>
>e.g.

Tatyana V. Buzina,
Associate Professor, Chair,
Dpt. of European Languages,