Of trees and gender (and cabbages and kings)

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Apr 5 11:28:01 UTC 2007

Interestingly, Lermontov's translation of the same Heine poem opts for two
feminine nouns, "sosna" i "pal'ma," thereby stripping it of its rather
pedestrian romantic allegory. I have argued that this represents a step
beyond the kind of naïve autobiographical self-expressionism characteristic
of Lermontov's earlier works in generalizing longing as an existential
condition, rather than a sexual cliché. He simultaneously shifts the focus
from *kto kogo* to empathy. He maintains the greater geographical separation
of the original. In the Lermontov piece, "north" and "east" are explicit,
thus drawing on the established imaginitive geography so well established in
Russia by that time, without reducing it to, well, again, *kto kogo*. P. Iu.
Danilevskii has identified the theme of Lermontov's version as the "tragic
insurmountability of isolation, despite the general similarity of [the two
subjects'] fates." Just because a poem has trees in it doesn't mean it *has*
to be about sex. If there is a gender issue for Lermontov at this stage of
his career, and in this poem, it is his attribution to the female of empathy
and vulnerability, both qualities, btw, that were also a part of Lermontov's
own lyric persona.

Cheers,
David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GRALL, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)