Film Adaptation of Gogol's "Viy"

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Wed Apr 11 17:52:26 UTC 2007

Hi David. I've used it in a course on film adaptations of Russian
literary works. We also watched the '67 Yershov adaptation. The students
responded to it. Yes, it's Italian and something of a cult favorite
among horror film buffs, who adore Mario Bava in general, but it's
international in scope (Barbara Steele in lead), all made possible by
the usual Italian post-syncronization sound method (a la Spaghetti
Westerns). It has loose connections to Gogol's story, things students
notice very quickly, such as the film's somewhat uncertain setting,
which appears to be generally Central/Eastern European. It's got gore.
There are DVD versions of both films. That combined with the shortness
of the story make them a highly teachable sequence for people interested
in issues of adaptation and the subsequent life of Gogol tales.

Russell

Russell Valentino
Assoc. Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
Faculty Associate Director
Obermann Center for Advanced Studies
Interim Director, Project on the Rhetoric of Inquiry
University of Iowa
319.353.2193 (Russian)
319.335.4034 (OCAS)
319.335.2753 (POROI)