Art and emotions

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Apr 17 13:11:08 UTC 2007

More from the world of music:

  The premiere of Verdi's Nabucco in 1842 also spawned riots, though based on political motivations. A performance of Salome was once shut down at the Met in the early 20th century for being too racy but I don't think there was any violence.

  In the early 1970s there was a near-riot at Carnegie Hall during the premiere of Steve Reich's Four Organs.

  In 1984 the song Suicide Solution was accused of motivating the suicide of a teenager. The youth's emotional stability was called into question during the trial, which may be a distinguishing factor. Or perhaps not, in the case of some of the reported museum painting-slashings. And I suspect that Ozzy does not qualify as "art" for the majority of members on this list.

  The work Piss-Christ from the 1980s was also physically attacked at some point, I believe. As I recall this work definitely engendered an extensive "what is art" debate.

  Date:    Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:11:14 +1000
From:    Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU
Subject: Art and emotions [SEC=PERSONAL]

Hi all,

In 1885 a Russian painter I'lya Repin exhibited a painting in Moscow
called
Ivan the Terrible Kills His Son (You can see the painting at the
wikipedia
site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:REPIN_Ivan_Terrible%26Ivan.jpg). The
painting evoked strong reactions. It was reported that a few viewers
fainted,
shocked by the painting. In 1913 a Russian priest entered the gallery
attacked it with a knife three times.

I was wondering if people know of similar (strong emotional
reactions)to a
work of art (in particular visual and musical).

Thanks

Subhash