Fathers and Sons translations

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Apr 20 17:29:32 UTC 2007

I've never taught *Fs & Ss*, but for what it's worth, I found
Garnett-revised-by-Matlaw to be a winning combination in the Norton
*Brothers K*.
David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GRALL, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of annac at UALBERTA.CA
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 12:55 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Fathers and Sons translations

I quite liked the translation of _Fathers and Sons_ by Constance Garnett and
revised by Ralph E. Matlaw. I realize that Garnett might seem archaic today,
but so far I have not come across anything better.
Here is the full reference:
Turgenev, Ivan. Fathers and Sons. Trans. Constance Garnett. Rev. Ralph E.
Matlaw. New York and London: W. W. Norton and Company, 1989.
Best wishes,
Anna