The-ATE-er

Anna Reid annareid01 at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Apr 23 11:17:08 UTC 2007

  I refer the group to Hilaire Belloc's immortal 'Matilda, who told lies and was burned to death', published 1907. The relevant lines are:

  It happened that a few weeks later
  Her Aunt was off to the Theatre
  To see that Interesting Play
  The Second Mrs Tanqueray
  She had refused to take her niece
  To see this Entertaining Piece
  A Deprivation Just and Wise
  To punish her for Telling Lies
  That night a fire DID break out
  You should have heard Matilda shout...

  Anna Reid

Kim Braithwaite <kbtrans at COX.NET> wrote:
  Tiny follow-up: -- the-AY-ter was a very common pronunciation, perhaps even
the most common, long before the mid c20. You can probably still hear it on
the lips of country folks.

BTW, the song I referred to is "Strip Polka," by the immortal Johnny Mercer
and recorded by the Andrews Sisters. Still popular on the radio during WW2.

Kim etc.....