The-ATE-er

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Apr 23 13:14:04 UTC 2007

A good one! Probably facetious though, as often with Belloc's rhymes -
cf. from another Cautionary Tale:

Now this was Jim's especial Foible,
He ran away when he was able
(this almost rhymes if spoken with a cockney accent)

But I think neither Matilda nor Belloc were likely to provide a
prostonarodnyi translation for keatr!

Just to illustrate further the global possibilities of English
pronunciation I see from a Canadian newspaper site that: 'Theatre People
pronounce theatre not as "theeter," like ordinary Canadians, but as
"Thee-uh-tuh," as in: "I'm in the [blow smoke in your face from
cigarette elegantly poised between middle and third finger] Thee-uh-tuh.'

Older thespians in England of Noel Coward vintage were likely to
pronounce it 'thee-ah-tah', with cigarette similarly positioned, dear boy.

Will Ryan

Anna Reid wrote:

>   I refer the group to Hilaire Belloc's immortal 'Matilda, who told lies and was burned to death', published 1907. The relevant lines are:
>
>   It happened that a few weeks later
>   Her Aunt was off to the Theatre
>   To see that Interesting Play
>   The Second Mrs Tanqueray
>   She had refused to take her niece
>   To see this Entertaining Piece
>   A Deprivation Just and Wise
>   To punish her for Telling Lies
>   That night a fire DID break out
>   You should have heard Matilda shout...
>
>   Anna Reid
>
> Kim Braithwaite <kbtrans at COX.NET> wrote:
>   Tiny follow-up: -- the-AY-ter was a very common pronunciation, perhaps even
> the most common, long before the mid c20. You can probably still hear it on
> the lips of country folks.
>
> BTW, the song I referred to is "Strip Polka," by the immortal Johnny Mercer
> and recorded by the Andrews Sisters. Still popular on the radio during WW2.
>
> Kim etc.....

Emeritus Professor W. F. Ryan FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute
(School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square
LONDON WC1H 0AB

All postal, fax and telephone messages to:
120 Ridge Langley, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 0AS
telephone and fax: 020 8405 6610
from outside UK +44 20 8405 6610