Informal poll

colkitto colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Tue Apr 24 04:39:11 UTC 2007

thanks!
> sarych? haven't heard of it. katerina siskron

here's my reply

Many thanks for your responses.  I am currently just putting the finishing
touches to a review of

Jagdwörterbuch Russisch-Deutsch by Irmgard Lorenz. München: Verlag Otto
Sagner, 2005. 181 pp.

and it includes the entry for сарыч

I intend to say something like

"Many of the terms included are obscure even to native speakers of Russian.
On a personal note, it is interesting to see сарыч [sarych] (139), glossed
as ‘Bussard’ Buteo ‘buzzard’.   In the part of  the English-speaking world
where I hail from a primary connotation of  'buzzard' is 'one step below the
golden eagle in the raptor hierarchy', and people who claim to have seen
eagles (which are rather rare, and nearly all in remoter parts of the
Highlands), are usually believed to have seen buzzards.'

The closest encounter I myself have had with a golden eagle was on Fionn
Bheinn above Achnasheen (it took off from under my feet), but afterwards
several people told me it must have been a buzzard [my father and uncle
quite forcefully].  I related this to a correspondent in Russia and was told
"А слова сарыч никогда не слышала", [a slovo sarych nikogda ne slyshala"],
and something similar has been repeated several times when this anecdote is
recounted.  An informal poll of people with a sophisticated knowledge of
Russian [more sophisticated than my own - RAO] suggests that сарыч may be
quite an obscure lexeme, more so than 'buzzard' in English.'

There's also a form канюк [kanyuk], which appears to be a synonym.

Tatyana, special thanks for drawing my attention to Uncle Remus in Russian.
There is a Mr. Buzzard. This opens up a fresh line of inquiry.

Sincerely

Robert