Good short primary text(s) for reflections on the end of Soviet Union / culture?

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Wed Apr 25 18:13:19 UTC 2007

Nicole,

Take a look at the IWP writers' samples for the past few years. Here's
the background:

Every fall between 30 and 40 writers from around the world descend on
Iowa
City for 10-week residencies at the International Writing Program. While
here they write, translate, do public readings, and create a kind of
writers UN. The program's been around since 1967 and has a long list of
distinguished alumni.

One very nice thing about the program for people who aren't nearby is
that all the writers' bios and bibliographies, as well as samples of
their works, are available on line at the International Writing
Program's website, which is here: http://www.uiowa.edu/~iwp/index.html.

I just looked for the past couple of years to see who's there: Lev
Usyskin, Mikhail Butov, Kseniya Golubovich, Natalya Vorozhbit,
Yekaterina Sadur, Aleksandr Ulanov, Sabit Madaliev, Maxim Kurochkin, and
more. The samples are fairly short and accessible. They often offer
perspectives on post-Soviet transitions.

Good luck with the dreaded week 15.

Russell Valentino