marking stressed vowels in OS X 10.4

Sarah Clovis Bishop sbishop at WELLESLEY.EDU
Fri Aug 31 18:49:44 UTC 2007

I just switched from an IBM to a Mac, and I am having trouble getting Word
for Mac to show accented vowels in Russian.
I found the following promising answers in the Seelangs archives:

You can also download Apple Russian fonts from their web site in Moscow:
<[ http://www.apple.ru/download/?ext_fonts%3E.
]http://www.apple.ru/download/?ext_fonts>. If you need accented vowels, use
the "show character palette"(where the flag is in the menu once you select
2nd keyboard in System Preferences), type the vowel, and then select
'combining diacritical marks', and the vowel will be accented.

The 'combining character' facility can be used with any of the Cyrillic
fonts that come supplied with the OS.

I managed to find the character palette, but, unfortunately, I cannot find
the "combining diacritical marks" or "combining character" option there.
I also am being denied access to the Russian fonts on the webpage above (I
have downloaded Stuffit Expander, and have an appropriate OS.)

Any advice on how to make the above solution work or any other thoughts on
ways to mark stress on Word for Mac would be most appreciated by this new
Mac user!
Please respond to me directly at sbishop at wellesley.edu
Spasibo zaranee!
Sarah