marking stressed vowels in OS X 10.4

Kern Lunde kdlunde at MAC.COM
Fri Aug 31 21:49:02 UTC 2007

Sarah,
   I had to experiment with this at first a couple years ago when I
made the switch to Mac, and I found that some fonts seem to work and
some don't.  The one that seems to work best is Lucida Grand.  With
your keyboard layout set to Russian, type a letter you want to have
an accent on.  Then, click on the 'Show Character Palette' on the
keyboard layout dropdown.  The combining diacritical marks start at
0000300 (a common one is at 0000341).  Select the desired diacritic,
then click 'Insert' and then close the Character Palette window.  The
letter should now show with the correct accent.  I'm sure other fonts
may work, since I didn't exhaustively test every font.  It's just
that Lucida Grand was the first one that seemed to work best.  It's
not elegant, but it works!

Kern D. Lunde
"Give a man fire and he'll be warm for the night.  Set a man on fire
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -- Unknown
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
society." – Mark Twain
"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand
upon the earth." - Job 19:25
"A boss fixes blame, a leader fixes mistakes." --Russell H. Ewing