ACTR and their program in Moscow

Dustin H. iamlearningenglish at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 1 21:03:34 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGers,

I am not exactly sure how to address it, so I wanted to discuss it in the
open since it concerns all who are interested in ACTR and their program in
Moscow.

I have several acquaintanes, friends, and colleagues who have dealt with
ACTR from within the past few years up until the present.  I have only heard
negative comments about ACTR and their program in both Moscow and St.
Petersburg from my close sources – again friends and acquaintances.  People
have constantly mentioned (complained about) how unprofessional and untimely
the ACTR often responds to requests – from those students on ACTR Moscow
program and even to those even requesting information.

My questions are these:

1) Why were students told to take a long Thanksgiving break, but not told
until approximately one week before Thanksgiving that their visas would have
to be extended (or renewed?) and therefore they would not have their
passports, which are necessary for travel within Russia?

Some students made travel arrangements, bought tickets, and then were not
able to go because the resident director had contradicted him/herself and
misinformed the students, taking their passports at the last possible
minute.

2) Why were students told that they could audit courses with Russian
university students, but at the same time the students were not given
information on exactly how to do this?

An answer from the resident director to the effect of "There's a schedule
somewhere in the university.... and you have to look at it yourself" is
ineffective and will only confuse American students, who generally do not
know how Russian universities function.

3) In regard to job applicants, ACTR has persistently dragged out the
application process and not given timely answers to their applicants.  This
reflects negatively upon ACTR as a potential employer and as an organization
in general.  Giving an especially highly qualified applicant a positive
answer and then not responding is outright rude and unprofessional.

Why does the ACTR allow this?

Again, these are concerns which I feel should be addressed by the community
that the ACTR serves.  This is why I have chosen to mention these issues
here.

--
Dustin Hosseini

"Earth laughs in flowers."