ACTR and their program in Moscow

Shuffelton at AOL.COM Shuffelton at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 2 04:25:56 UTC 2007

As a teacher who has benefitted from ACTR programs for more than twenty
years, I find it unfortunate that Mr. Hosseini has chosen to take such a  negative
approach to the organization. As Professor Garza points out, he could  have
addressed his personal concerns to personnel at American Councils rather  than
airing them on SEELANGS.  Since he does invite commentary  and thus offers an
occasion to note  the good that ACTR does for the  Russian field, I am happy
to mention just a few examples.  To list all the  positive ways that ACTR
serves students, teachers, and the Russian field in  general would make this
posting far too long.

Very simply put, ACTR's programs have changed my life.  I was a  participant
in the first high school teachers'  summer exchan to the USSR,  spending six
weeks in Leningrad in the summer of 1986.  It was that summer  that gave me my
first immersion in Russian language and culture, allowing me  finally to feel
competent and comfortable speaking Russian.  It was also  that summer that
introduced me to some teaching methods and classroom activities  that I continued
to use for the rest of my career. And it was that summer when I  began to
acquire authentic materials to use in my classroom.  I found the  ACTR oversight
of that program extraordinarily competent, professional, and  helpful.  Other
participants in that summer program still  remember that summer  as a
milestone in their lives.

ACTR, in cooperation with CORLAC and other organizations, continued to  offer
many rich resources for high school teachers, including summer institutes  at
Bryn Mawr College where teachers, were exposed to the latest approaches  in
second language acquisition as well as outstanding professional development
classes.  I became a very different classroom teacher thanks to those  summer
institutes. My classes also benefitted from ACTR publications,  especially the
Face to Face textbook series, which remains the only Russian  textbook series
designed with pre-college students in mind.

My experience leading a  delegation of high school students to  Russia was
very different from what Mr. Hosseini describes.  When we had a  problem to deal
with, the staff in the ACTR offices in Moscow and in Washington  were
immediately responsive and helpful, even answering middle of the night  phone calls.
I was immensely grateful for their support and thankful  that I was on an ACTR
program that summer.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for the work that ACTR does for
all of us in the field.  My reaction to all the fine programs and people
involved in the organization has been to involve myself in a number of ACTR
activities, in part out of gratitude.   I have served on the Board of  Directors
since 1988(I think that is the correct year), administered the  National Russian
Essay Contest since 1989, served as Secretary of the Board of  Directors and am
currently President of the organization.

 As Professor Garza notes in his reply, ACTR  stands as a model  to the
foreign language field in the area of exchange and study programs  that directly
benefit students and  instructors of Russian.  I am  always proud to point out
to colleagues in other language fields the wealth  of programs, exchanges, and
publications that ACTR makes available.

Jane Shuffelton
President, ACTR