ACTR and their program in Moscow

Candice A McDougall camcdoug at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Dec 2 05:19:14 UTC 2007

As a recent student participant in a year-long ACTR program in St.
Petersburg, I would like to add that my experience was also very
positive, from a student's point of view. The support we got from ACTR
was well-balanced and very high-quality. We had a similar experience
with our passports, and we ended up getting them back just in time. I'm
pretty sure this was not the fault of the resident director nor the
Washington office; something or another had changed with the visa
policies, I think, and ACTR had to react to that, which thankfully they
did and we students just had to concentrate on learning Russian.

Regarding auditing, I think the idea is that if you are comfortable
enough with your Russian that you think you want to audit a class in a
Russian university, you should probably be prepared to do a little
exploration on your own. There are a lot of different kinds of study
abroad options out there. Some hold the students' hand from the time
they board the plane to the time they get off their return flight in the
US; these programs don't usually allow the students much freedom to do
anything much on their own, like auditing courses or traveling
independently in-country. Other students enroll independently in Russian
universities and have almost complete freedom, but very little support
if they get in a bind. I found ACTR provided the optimal (for me)
balance of freedom and support. Our resident director would point us in
the right direction when we needed help, but we still had to do things
ourselves; that's how we learned for ourselves how things work in
Russia. Going to the university to find out about the course schedule is
great language practice.

As far as job applicants, I can't say I have any experience with that
aspect of ACTR. I might mention, however, that if your acquaintance
didn't have a great deal of patience and persistence, perhaps they
weren't so "highly qualified" to do the sort of work that ACTR does,
after all.

Candice McDougall