ACTR; Why talk about problems in the open?

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Sun Dec 2 18:40:41 UTC 2007

While I will be one of the first to point out that there are many viable
alternatives to ACTR in Russia - this conversation strikes me as a bit odd.

Let's say you go to a restaurant with friends. One friend orders a steak.
When it comes, the friend complains the steak is cold. He tells the waiter
and gets a cursory answer, but no offer to rectify the situation.

Do you a) attempt to contact the manager of the restaurant or b) stand up
and ask the rest of the customers in the restaurant how it could possibly be
that your friend was served a cold steak?

I point this out only because I think more people should apply the sociology
and logic they apply to the "real world" to life online.

JW

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Dustin H.
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 1:04 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] ACTR; Why talk about problems in the open?

Dear All:

First of all, I have chosen to address this in public because these problems
are related to both recent, current, and future participants who might wish
to study abroad in Russia.  This is an open forum and the questions are
pertinent to all involved: from the students to the teachers and
administrators.

These issues are important, since students do have a choice in selecting
their study abroad program.  Unfortunately, they do not often have the
choice of finding out in-depth information about these programs, other than
comments from previous students.  Not all previous students write commentary
about their experience on the program, and often negative commentary is not
posted for future students to view, thus creating a one-sided argument for
the program at hand.

Additionally, sometimes it is best if an organization takes a look at
outside evidence rather than conducting its own studies or surveys, which
may not reveal the relevant facts of the issues or problems within their own
realm.

I would like to note again that I have heard nothing bot negative comments -
each time - about this organization and their programs in Russia.

It is great to hear positive comments about the ACTR, however I feel that
positive commentary from recent participants would be much more valid than
someone who has attended the program 15 to 20 years ago.  Why?
Organizations change, as do people.  I'm sure the ACTR was better run during
those years in comparison to the present day - otherwise, there would not be
broad criticism about different aspects of the ACTR programs.

Recently I have received more negative feedback, and given permission, I
will send it to the appropriate people.  I will contact ACTR, but I do feel
that people have the right to know more about the minuses of this program.

Again, it is great to hear positive thoughts about the ACTR: but do you
actually believe that this program is flawless and has no issues to be
resolved, which may then trickle down and affect the students on these study
abroad programs?

Best,

Dustin Hosseini