ACTR; Why talk about problems in the open?

Stephen Sandford hopkonian at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 4 11:21:19 UTC 2007

Having participated in CIEE Saint Petersburg in the very recent past, I
applaud Dustin for putting these complaints out in public.  Choosing how to
study in Russia too often comes down to picking between two inferior
programs: ACTR and CIEE.  The lack of public information about these
programs is the central reason why they continue to dominate the field
despite their serious shortcomings.  Since returning to Russia and meeting,
as Dustin has, many students who are disillusioned with study abroad in
general thanks to these programs, I now recommend that, whenever possible,
students forgo these programs (and, usually, the ability to transfer
credits) and enroll directly, for example in SPGU's superb Center for
Russian Language and Culture.  The difference in costs between American
study abroad programs and direct enrollment simply cannot be justified at
present given the abysmal on-site administration of these programs.  (By way
of disclaimer, I believe CIEE now has a new RD, under whom things have
hopefully improved.)
-SGS