American English Official Grammar Reference Book

Mon Dec 10 21:33:50 UTC 2007

Deborah Hoffman wrote:

> I was also going to suggest the Columbia guide. In addition to
> grammar, it contains valuable information on varying levels of
> register, something that tends to plague a non-native speaker of any
> language, as well as on inclusive usage.

I hope the paper version is better than the one available online.

I did a cursory review of several dozen entries and found them generally
superficial and uninsightful, missing obvious points that would be of
interest to the reader. Moreover, the purpose seemed more descriptive
than prescriptive, and they often took the position that whatever a lot
of people did was fine by them, even if a literate reader should know
better.

<http://www.bartleby.com/68/>

Example:

<http://www.bartleby.com/68/37/1837.html>
different from, different than, different to

These three have been usage items for many years. All are Standard and
have long been so (different to is limited to British English, however),
but only different from seems never to meet objections: She is different
from her mother in many ways. He feels different from the way he did
yesterday. You look different from him. Different than has been much
criticized by commentators but is nonetheless Standard at most levels
except for some Edited English. Consider She looks different than [she
did] yesterday. He’s different than me (some additional purist
discomfort may arise here). You look different than he [him]. The
problem lies in the assumption that than should be only a subordinating
conjunction (requiring the pronouns that follow to be the nominative
case subjects of their clauses), and not a preposition (requiring the
pronouns that follow to be the objective case objects of the
preposition). But Standard English does use than as both preposition and
conjunction: She looks different than me is Standard and so is She looks
different than I [do]. And with comparative forms of adjectives, than
occurs with great frequency: She looks taller [older, better, thinner,
etc.] than me [than I do]. Still, best advice for Formal and Oratorical
levels: stick with different from.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com