American English Official Grammar Reference Book

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Dec 11 11:26:27 UTC 2007

I hesitate to join in a discussion which arises from a query about US
usage but I would disagree slightly with Paul Gallagher's note on
'different to/from/than insofar as it relates British English. I think
any careful British editor would accept only 'different from' at almost
any level of publication. 'Different to' is commonly heard in British
colloquial English but would still probably be corrected by any British
school teacher of English; many would regard it as being 'uneducated'.
'Different than' is occasionally heard in Britain but I suspect sounds
American to most and is unlikely to be used by educated British
speakers, although the OED gives a substantial list of writers who have
used this construction.

Of course, editors and authors of style books can hardly escape the
orthodoxies of their youth, and recommended 'good practice' in written
English will commonly differ from current colloquial usage even of
educated English speakers in any part of the English-speaking world. I
went to school at a time when a split infinitive would be seized upon by
a teacher as a vulgar error. Even now my editorial blue pencil twitches
involuntarily when I see one, despite my recognition of the historical
and linguistic absurdity of the convention and the awful contortions one
sometimes has to perform to observe it. We may have no Academie to
legislate in these matters, as has been pointed out, but the conditioned
got it wrong), the fear of social solecism (for British English remember
Pygmalion/My Fair Lady and the still not entirely forgotten U/nonU
debate), or the dread of a sneering review, have strong normative
influences.

Will Ryan