different to and from

Martin Votruba votruba+ at PITT.EDU
Wed Dec 12 19:41:11 UTC 2007

> Do these statistics about _different to_ include
> co-occurrences where _to_ and _different_ do not form a constituent

Perhaps not, Loren, but the difference between British and American
English is still striking, meaning the instances that you quote (a
valid caveat) cannot be more than 3.9% if all of the British
occurrences were only of that type, which is not likely -- it is
quite improbable that saying _but they're different to me_ would be
dramatically more common in the US than in the UK.

Martin

votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu