different to and from

Vera Beljakova atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Wed Dec 12 20:58:48 UTC 2007

When I was taught English in England by an Oxford graduate tea

When I was taught English in England by an Oxford graduate teacher,
we were taught the distinction in meaning between:
<different to> (neutral differentiation)
and
<different from> (negative differentiation)

Different to:  is not negative in concept.
Mary is "different to" Janet...statement of fact, not a negative comparison,
they are not the same, but of equal merit.

Different from: indicates that one is more superior to the other.
This evening dress is "different from" hers....meaning "hers" is not as good.

And then there is :
...as different as can be! .....

Vera Beljakova
Johannesburg