different to and from

Martin Votruba votruba+ at PITT.EDU
Thu Dec 13 06:21:13 UTC 2007

> The only "3.9" I found in the
> statistics that Alina cites is for _different than_ (spoken UK)

Sorry, Loren, I made a mistake.  The table's a bit disorganized in my
mailer, I copied a wrong column, and got confused to boot.  I should
have copied 0.6 from "US speech - to"  and compared it to 27.3 from
"UK speech - to."

Meaning: even if 100% of the recorded US occurrences of _different
to_ were of the type _They may be the same to you, but they're
different to me_ (I'll call it "B" here), we would still be left with
(27.3 minus 0.6 equals) 26.7% occurrences of _different to_ in
British English where _to_ most likely indicates comparison unless we
assume that statements "B" occur substantially more often in British
English than in American English.

In other words, the frequency of statements "B" cannot be higher than
0.6% in American English and therefore is unlikely to be
substantially higher in British English unless we assume that the
Brits say "B" multiple times more often than the Americans.  The
frequency of "B" can probably be disregarded.

We don't disagree about the general issue.

Martin

votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu