Anyone familiar with current Microsoft Office proofing tools for Russian?

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Wed Dec 12 23:07:15 UTC 2007

I am running such a pack with Word 2007 now - quite successfully. I bought
it in Russia and paid what seemed to be a fair price in a "real" store - i.e.
not a kiosk near a metro station selling obviously pirate software. The
Microsoft-branded software installs both a spell-checker and switchable
language (Russian/English) interface for all of Office. (Switching language
menus requires shutting down Office and restarting, but that's just a second
or two. One annoyance, unlike Office 2003, the Russian language pack
sometimes gets confused as to which language you're typing in and starts
squiggly underlining legitimate Russian or English words - as if it is blind
to the keyboard you're typing in. This is not random but too hard to
describe in just a few words.

-Rich

--
Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.