Anyone familiar with current Microsoft Office proofing tools for Russian?

Thu Dec 13 02:35:35 UTC 2007

Richard Robin wrote:

> I am running such a pack with Word 2007 now - quite successfully. I
> bought it in Russia and paid what seemed to be a fair price in a
> "real" store - i.e. not a kiosk near a metro station selling
> obviously pirate software. The Microsoft-branded software installs
> both a spell-checker and switchable language (Russian/English)
> interface for all of Office. (Switching language menus requires
> shutting down Office and restarting, but that's just a second or two.
> One annoyance, unlike Office 2003, the Russian language pack
> sometimes gets confused as to which language you're typing in and
> starts squiggly underlining legitimate Russian or English words - as
> if it is blind to the keyboard you're typing in. This is not random
> but too hard to describe in just a few words.

One of the first things I do when installing any MS Office software is
to review all the options, preferences, settings, etc. and disable the
ones that try to emulate human behavior. So for example, there's a
setting in MS Word 2003 under Tools | Language | Set Language... [ ]
Detect language automatically, and I have it disabled in Normal.dot
because it's too stupid for my taste. This way, as long as I'm typing
with the Cyrillic keyboard, it marks everything as Russian, and when I
switch back to the English keyboard, it marks everything as English. I
can always go back and apply ad hoc formatting to things like "компания
«ABC Corp»" and "CuSO4"as needed.

Does Office 2007 let you do that, or does it insist on making its own
guesses as to what language you're in?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com