Cartoons

Laura Pontieri Hlavacek laura.pontieri at AYA.YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 20 22:29:42 UTC 2007

Hello Natalie,
Maria Dmytrieva just sent you some useful links, so I will try to add
something new.

It is quite difficult for me to pick up only a few animated films since
I have a collection of about 1000 films and I wrote my Ph.D.
dissertation on them. I'll try to give you some names to look for. I
realize that sometimes it is easier to have titles then directors'
name, but you can always check their filmography at www.animator.ru
(and most of the time the site also tells you where you can find the
film).

I like the compilation Masters of Russian Animation (Films by Jove) a
collection of films (mainly films directed not only to children) in 4
DVDs - they include films by the best Russian animation directors
Norstein, Khitruk, Kurchevsky, Khrzhanovsky, Gamburg,
Serebriakov,Nazarov, Atamanov, to name just a few (I would suggest any
film by these directors, also those that are not in this collection).
Bardin strangely is not represented here, but you can buy the
collection of his films in VHS (highly recommended) at ozon.ru.

If you are looking for some more recent films, Pilot studio is quite
good, you can find collection of older films, or (as someone already
mentioned) new films of the series Gora samotsvetov (not all of them
are good, but many of them). At ozon.ru or rightSite.ru
One of the directors at Pilot, Mikhail Aldashin, made also a very nice
film called Rozhdestvo (1996) that is nice to watch at this time of the
year. His films are good but a bit more difficult to find, but I can
try to help you if you are interested in them.

Kucha starykh dobrykh mul'tov has quite a number of good films for
children, if you want some fairy-tale based cartoons, they are
available in other sborniki see for example ozon.ru (you can have them
delivered to Canada, it takes a long time, but they usually arrive).
See films by Ivanov-Vano, sister Brumbergs, and others. If you want
some titles, please write me back.

There is also a collection of shorts that appeared on tv  in Veselaia
Karusel, a lot of them are good, they are about 3 minutes long
(available at ozon.ru)

For children (and again not only) some of my favorites are those that
you already have in Kucha collection + Cheburashka, Krokodil Gena,
Vinni Pukh, Kak l'venok i cherepakha peli pesniu, Fantik, Goluboi
Shchenok, Kanikuly Bonifatsiia, Lev s sedoi borodoi, Levsha,
Shchelkunchik, Zhil-byl pes and - more difficult to find - Khalif-aist,
Konets chernoi topi, Okno, Shkatulka s sekretom.

Directors to look for: Kurchevsky, Serebriakov and Karanovich for
puppet animation, Khrzhanovsky, Khitruk, Norstein, Gamburg of course,
but also Atamanov, Nazarov, Nosyrev, Gorlenko, Shorina, Stepantsev,
Ugarov

Contemporary directors to look at: Cherkasova, Petkevich, Aleksandr
Petrov,  Aldashin, Bronzit and Maximov (mind their styles are very
different)

I can write pages on this theme, please feel free to contact me if you
have specific questions (like for example the fairy-tale films - if you
can't find them in ozon.ru, I can try to help you to locate them and
give you a list), I will check my e-mail again after January 5.
Hope this helped a little bit
All the best,
Laura

Laura Pontieri Hlavacek, Ph.D.