Goloviznin's 2 transl. queries + etym. query

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Wed Dec 26 08:31:29 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues and Mr Goloviznin:

1.  For the 1st query,   I suggest either "in a trance"   or "in a
trance-like state."  But definitely NOT "entranced," since I think
that would be something very positive,   along the lines of
"uvlechennyi" or "vostorzhennyi".   And this latter meaning
does not seem to be intended in this context..?

2.  For the 2d query ("devushka"),    in the context cited by
Goloviznin, I strongly suggest "young lady."

P.S.    Is the surname "GOLOVIZNIN" derived from (a) a noun
"GOLOVIZNA" or (b) from a compound "GOLO- + VIZNA" or
 (c) from some other aggregation of syllables?

Best wishes to all for the holidays,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.