Goloviznin's 2 transl. queries + etym. query

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Dec 26 17:52:22 UTC 2007

On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:31 AM, Prof Steven P Hill wrote:

> 2.  For the 2d query ("devushka"),    in the context cited by
> Goloviznin, I strongly suggest "young lady."

She actually means 'a virgin'.

> P.S.    Is the surname "GOLOVIZNIN" derived from (a) a noun
> "GOLOVIZNA" or (b) from a compound "GOLO- + VIZNA" or
>  (c) from some other aggregation of syllables?

Golovizna means fish head and part of the spine. Sup s goloviznoj is
a staple of 19th c Russian lit, but got to be something like
Shchedrin, or Pisemskij, I don't remember off hand who had (and have
no time to do the search).

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW