language puzzle

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Dec 27 14:54:08 UTC 2007

Any chance it could be "lein" (flax)? Although, the modern word for flaxen-haired appears to be flachshaarig.

  Another thought: either "fair" or "blond" in old US or European script. If the same manifest writer (judging by handwriting) is using English words for other designations it seems less likely he would switch to another language.

  Still the practice you suggest is not unheard of, cf. Moses Peller, Blek hair, 25 Jahr old and Singel, resident of "Blicker Street," presumably in New York.

  http://www.fisheries.vims.edu/hoenig/pdfs/penmanship.pdf

  Is there a visual image available? I'm always up for a good puzzle.