"hane"

Mike Trittipo tritt002 at TC.UMN.EDU
Thu Dec 27 16:02:40 UTC 2007

On Dec 27 2007, Jerry Katsell wrote:
>            Just another thought: if the manifest writer’s language was
>German, “hane” could be short for . . .
>            I agree with Deborah that a visual of the manifest could be
>very helpful.

I agree that it it makes sense to seek out an image of the original,
presumably handwritten, manifest from which the typed one was made. And I
never quite saw the leap from the predicate that ships' manifests were
prepared at the departure point, to a conclusion that the term must be
specifically Czech, given that the Czech lands are land-locked, so only
river traffic leaves there.

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, MN