Article on Russia in The New Yorker

Sergey Glebov sglebov at SMITH.EDU
Thu Feb 1 03:55:09 UTC 2007

Dear Alina,

May be there are seccessionist aspirations in Yakutia but it's really not
something that is high on the agenda. Much of it has recently been propped
up by Kremlin in an attempt to secure control of the diamonds industry in
Sakha (regum played a role). If a demonstration of 15 people can qualify as
a sign of separatism, than the author is right.  Separatism in Mari El
strikes me as utterly exotic...
The author of the article believes that Siberia and Yakutia are different
and comparable regions, whereas the second is part of the first (as long as
an ethnoteritorial unit can be part of a vague geographical category).
Besides, "Siberia" apart from Yakutia has no diamonds whatsoever, whereas
hardly any oil is extracted in Yakutia (as yet).
But there are more dubious or unsubstantiated statements in that article. In
the case of Kozlov's murder, for example, arrests have been made.
I feel uncomfortable defending Putin's junta but this is really bad
journalism, bombastic and manipulative. It's so easy to catch it on a
half-truth..

Sergey

====