The article in the New Yorker -- freedom of speech in Russia

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Feb 2 00:12:55 UTC 2007

Everything Sergey says, including Specter's comment, echoes what journalists
currently working in Russia have recently told me. Apathy is the word. These
same journalists also tell me that the print media are in serious trouble in
Russia, too: there's no money in it. The source of news for the vast
majority of Russians is tv; it is everywhere, and the government literally
owns it. One might say that freedom of speech is "managed" in Russia, much
as democracy is "managed."

David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GRALL, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)