Russian Ark & other musings, questions

Devin Browne dpbrowne at MAC.COM
Thu Feb 15 03:30:31 UTC 2007

Has anyone seen the film Russian Ark?  I've read some reviews and it
sounds like it gives a general historical overview of Russia (300
years worth) over the course of an hour and a half.

It made me start thinking of my high school students (Russian 1, first
year of a new Russian program).  They know virtually NOTHING about
Russian history and have only the vaguest idea of Russia's present
relationship with the US.  Can you suggest an approach to introducing
some Russian history that wouldn't bore the pants off of a small group
of inner-city American kids?  I'm really struggling with this.

Devin
(aka Divan)