intro to Russian history (cont.)

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Thu Feb 15 07:32:34 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues & Devin Browne:

I tend to agree that "Ark" might be too specialized and arcane for
high schoolers just starting Russian study.  One reader's suggestion
of "Moscow...Tears" isn't bad, because it covers a few decades from
the late 1940s onward.

Perhaps even broader in its historical sweep could be "Sibiriada" [ better
translated as "Siberiana"? ], directed by Andrei Konchalovskii in the 1970s
before he migrated to the West.  That film covers a few generations of
a couple of Russian families, from before the 1917 "October Revolution"
all the way down to the late Soviet decades, and even includes a legendary
spectre supposedly from Russia's distant folkloric past.  Probably has
a clearer narrative than "Ark," and thus more accessible to beginning
high schoolers...

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.
__ __ __ __ __ __ ___

Date: Thu 15 Feb 00:24:57 CST 2007
From: <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: Steven Hill <S-HILL4 at UIUC.EDU>

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:30:31 -0500
From: Devin Browne <dpbrowne at MAC.COM>
Subject: Russian Ark & other musings, questions

Has anyone seen the film Russian Ark?  I've read some reviews and it
sounds like it gives a general historical overview of Russia (300
years worth) over the course of an hour and a half.
It made me start thinking of my high school students (Russian 1, first
year of a new Russian program).  They know virtually NOTHING about
Russian history and have only the vaguest idea of Russia's present
relationship with the US.  Can you suggest an approach to introducing
some Russian history that wouldn't bore the pants off of a small group
of inner-city American kids?  I'm really struggling with this.
Devin  (aka Divan)