intro to Russian history (cont.)

Jenny Carr jennifercarr at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Thu Feb 15 08:23:56 UTC 2007

Dear Devin,
I teach a "language + culture taster class to 17 year olds (so a bit older
than your students?).  They are interested in history (because they've
learned a bit about Stalin in history classes) so I do a whistle stop
through Russian history from Rus' onwards, showing bits of films/whole films
as appropriate:
eg
Mongols - sack of Vladimir from "Andrei Rublev" pt 2
Ivan the T - extracts from Eisenstein
Stalin - whole of Tsymbal's "Zashchitnik Sedov" (brilliant film giving
insight into the atmosphere and complexities of 1937, only 45 mins long so
fits a lesson)

I also use poetry: I read the Russian while they look at parallel text:
Peter the Gt - intro to Mednyi Vsadnik
Revolution - bits of Blok's "12"

And get them researching "why was Ivan terrible".

Would welcome other ideas,
Jenny Carr
Director, Scotland-Russia Forum
+44 (0)131 662 9149