Eastern Orthodox calendar: -14? - 13?

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Mon Feb 26 13:16:23 UTC 2007

You can find the full story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar.
There's a leap year issue, then another adjustment every fourth century
(leap century?).
Cheers,
David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GRALL, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu] On Behalf Of Prof Steven P Hill
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 12:12 AM
To: SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Eastern Orthodox calendar: -14? - 13?

Dear colleagues:

Once upon a time, studying Russian history, I learned (or seem to recall
learning) that in the 19th century the Eastern Orthodox calendar ran
12 days behind the West European (Catholic) calendar, and that in the 20th
century the E Orthodox calendar ran 13 days behind.  So far, so good.

So my expectation was that in the 21st century the E Orthodox calendar would
run 14 (fourteen) days behind.  But I've encountered some indications that
even in this 21st century the "time lag" is still 13 (thirteen) days.

If I was wrong, where did I go wrong?

Gratefully,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.