Guardian on Putin's speech

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Tue Feb 27 08:43:23 UTC 2007

Dear Maryna and list members,

I do not know which "big brother" is supposed to "eradicate everything that constitutes the very core of the Slavic culture".

As a French man, with a soon to depart President, who used his functions to avoid being prosecuted for corruption, I would not pretend that France is an ideal democracy.

I do not know anyway what would be an ideal democracy...

Ancient Greece had among others slaves, ostracism and permanent intercity wars.

But the system Putin contributed to set up has not much in common with democracy, or even "managed democracy". It is an oligarchic system, with fabricated elections and processes, and general prosecutors who are legally assumed to be the best protected in the world, but who can be fired like Ustinov in a couple of days by his President master giving a frown.

The few in power are no longer members of one political party (although "Yedinaya Russia" tends to restore this model), but of a nomenklatura including KGB officials on the political side, and of some wealthy millionnaires on the economical one. Are they really the ones who can promote "everything that constitutes the very core of the Slavic culture" ?

Putin used even Beslan to reinforce FSB powers, and not those of the militia and judges.

What Russia has never been able to set up in its long history is the delicate system of checks and balances which prevents other countries to drift to far away towards the permanent politicians' temptation of power abuse.

The only historical period I know in this direction in Russia is the short-lived Menchevik Revolution, which unfortunately proved ineffective.

Philippe