(Kap dochka) Khorosh gus'

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Jan 8 02:04:48 UTC 2007

Jules Levin wrote:
> I wonder what the origin is?
> Consider a German (actually I know it from Yiddish) 'ganz gut', which
> means both
> 'quite good' and 'the goose [is] good...'
> Could the Russian have originated in some cross-language joke?
    The dictionary _Russkaia frazeologiia. Istoriko-etimologicheskii
slovar'_, compiled by Birikh, Mokienko and Stepanova (3rd. ed., 2005)
suggests the following: "Blagodaria tomu, chto gus' v bukval'nom smysle
vykhodit iz vody sukhim (voda skatyvaetsia s ego per'ev), slovo _gus'_
priobrelo perenosnoe znachenie 'lovkii, plutovatyi chelovek, proidokha'.
Eto znachenie realizuetsia v slovosochetaniiach: _Nu i gus'! Khorosh
gus'!" (p. 172).
    The phrase "v bukval'nom smysle" is an allusion to the proverbial
comparison (in Russian, Polish and elsewhere) "kak s gusia voda," the
English equivalent of which is "like water off a duck's back."
    Jules Levin's Yiddish example is part of a bit of joking dialog: If
someone says (in Yiddish) "gants gut" (quite good/well), which is
homonymous (in some, but not all, Yiddish dialects) with "gandz gut,"
the comeback line is "kachke nokh beser" (a duck [is] even better).

Bob Rothstein